Friday, November 28, 2008

What am I thankful for?

I have just finished reading the local paper the day after Thanksgiving newspaper. I am reminded of the reason that this year is by far the best Thanksgiving celebration ever and the paper delivers the resounding reason. On the front page, just below the fold and prior to any articles about shopping on Black Friday is a picture of my handsome nephew being greeted by friends and family. The article is called: It’s ‘best Thanksgiving ever’ for soldier’s kin.

Yesterday at approximately 11:30 am after traveling for four days from Iraq, my nephew landed safely. It was a great feeling be among over fifty friends and family ignoring typical tradition and surprising their favorite soldier at the airport. The trip was just part of the journey that brought him back to us…the good part.

Unfortunately, the reason SPC Smith came home revolved around an improvised explosive device (IED) that destroyed his vehicle, killing and injuring its occupants. My nephew escaped with no serious injuries and has no recollection of the event. Even so, we remain eternally grateful that he is back with us for a short time.

I am also grateful to the men and women serving our country daily and their families who endure their repetitive absences in the call to arms. They sacrifice time and their physical well being. Their loving families endure the hardships with hope and prayer. To all of you, I am truly thankful for the sacrifices you are making for us.

No comments: